“Human dignity originates in our being made in the image of God. Sexual abuse against children violates this dignity. It is both a criminal and sinful act that results in great harm to the physical, emotional, and spiritual integrity of those who have been abused.
We pray for God’s guidance in protecting children. We pray for wisdom in our response to victims of sexual abuse and to those who stand accused. We pray for a spirit of love and forgiveness toward those who have offended against children.
May the example of Jesus be a lamp to our feet and a light to our path. Amen.”
Excerpt from Diocese of Cleveland, Policy for the Safety of Children in Matters of Sexual Abuse – Revised June 2016
VIRTUS® is the brand name that identifies best practices programs designed to help prevent wrongdoing and promote “rightdoing” within religious organizations. The VIRTUS® programs empower organizations and people to better control risk and improve the lives of all those who interact with the Church. You can learn more about VIRTUS® here.
According to the CDC, in a 2015 nationally representative sample of youth in grades 9-12: (Source)
- 7.8% reported being in a physical fight on school property in the 12 months before the survey.
- 5.6% reported that they did not go to school on one or more days in the 30 days before the survey because they felt unsafe at school or on their way to or from school.
- 4.1% reported carrying a weapon (gun, knife or club) on school property on one or more days in the 30 days before the survey.
- 6.0% reported being threatened or injured with a weapon on school property one or more times in the 12 months before the survey.
- 20.2% reported being bullied on school property and 15.5% reported being bullied electronically during the 12 months before the survey.
When developing a product to protect children, we took ALL of our school training into consideration, especially our own VIRTUS® Training and national statistics on bullying and assault. With utmost care and concern, we did not want to make a lockdown response unit that would aid in a different crime or the victimization of a student or teacher. This is a very serious concern for us. This is something that must be considered when developing response protocols or adding something new to a classroom or office.
With Bearacade, the ability to see what is in place and the ability to gain entry quickly were considerations foremost in our mind. There is no hidden misuse or “secret” deployment with our trademark External Notification Panel. We provide the ability to gain entry to a secured space by administrators and safety forces with our proprietary Defaulting Blade.
Yes, you do have to consider each and every day … each and every person in your care!
Here are some additional helpful resources:
United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) Website